Pitta, Dosha (Mind & Body Type) definition…
Properties of Pitta:
The physical characteristics of a Pitta person are:
- Frame: Moderate.
- Weight: Moderate.
- Skin: Soft, oily, warm & yellowish.
- Hair: Soft, oily & goes Grey early.
- Teeth: Moderate, soft and bleeding gums.
- Eyes: Sharp, Grey or Yellow.
- Forehead: Moderate with folds.
- Neck: Medium.
- Eye lashes: Small, thin and fine.
- Nose: Medium.
- Voice: High pitch, sharp, moderate & good.
- Speech: Sharp, clear and cutting.
- Nails: Soft and Pink.
- Sweating: Profuse but not enduring.
- Faeces: Soft and loose.
- Urine: Profuse and Yellow.
- Pulse rate: Moderate, jumps like a frog.
- Physical activity: Moderate.
- Sleep: Little but sound.
- Thirst: High.
- Appetite: Good and sharp.
- Joints: Loose.
- Circulation: Good.
- Endurance: Moderate but focused.
- Habits/Hobbies: Likes competitive sports, debates, politics, hunting and research.
- Tendency to contract disease (type): Disease of heat infection, blood and liver.
- Tendency to spend: Spends moderately and methodically.
The mental characteristics of a Pitta person are:
- Mind: Aggressive and intelligent.
- Emotion: Aggressive and irritable.
- Faith: Determined.
- Memory: Sharp.
- Dream Running: Fiery, angry, passionate & swimming.
- Mental nature: Intelligent, argumentative & convincing.
- Neurotic tendencies: Angry, irritable and contentious.
- Temperament: Motivated.
- Positive emotions: Courage
- Negative emotions: Anger.
Pitta Mental nature according to the 3 Guna’s:
- Sattvic (Pure): Intelligent, clear, perceptive, enlightened, discriminating, good will, independent, warm, friendly, courageous, good guide & leader.
- Rajasic: Wilful, impulsive, ambitious, aggressive, controlling, critical, dominating, manipulating, angry, wrathful, reckless, proud & vain.
- Tamasic: Hateful, vile, vindictive, destructive, psychopath, criminal, drug dealer & underworld figure.
Signs of increased Pitta in a person:
- Yellowish appearance in urine, faeces, skin, eyes (jaundice).
- Sharp hunger (even more so than usual).
- Sharp thirst (even more so than usual).
- Burning sensations.
- Little sleep, fiery and angry.
Signs of de-creased Pitta in a person:
- Feeling of coldness.
- Glow of texture of the skin goes down.
Tastes: That increase Pitta:
- Sour, Salty and Pungent.
Tastes: That de-creases Pitta:
- Bitter, Astringent and Sweet.
Times: When Pitta rises in the body:
- Daytime: 10am-2pm
- Night: 10pm-2am
Kosta (Elementary tract) related to a Pitta person:
- Mrudu (Soft element)
Cosmic elements related to a Pitta:
Appropriate Panchakarma treatment for a Pitta person:
- Virichim: Purgation.
- Raktamukshan: Bloodletting.
Season where Pitta rises:
- Midsummer to early Autumn (July-Oct)
Season where Pitta accumulates:
- Rainy season.
Season(s) where Pitta aggravates:
Season where Pitta alleviates:
- Early winter.
Specific locations of Pitta in the body:
- Small Intestine.
Different sub-types of Pitta:
Enzymes of digestion
- Gives colour to tissues.
Heart and Brain:
- Memories and emotions we don’t forget so close link with heart and brain.
- Transformation of knowledge.
Digestion according to Pitta:
Food digestive time for a Pitta person:
- 1 and a half hour.
Digestive disorders related to Pitta:
- Vibaghajirna: Thirst, fainting, sore belches & burning.
- Cure: Vomiting to get rid of excess acid.
A strengthening and reducing diet is required for Pitta people with the Rasa’s of sweet, bitter and astringent being heavily present. The food should be cooling, raw and heavy with no spices present. Fruit juices and water should be taken cool and stimulants such as coffee and alcohol should be avoided. The time for their food to be digested is 1 & a half to 3 hours. They should eat dinner early to suppress their appetites until after they have gone to bed.
Usage of Herbs:
To improve the digestion:
Aloe, Gentian, Barberry along with very mild spices like Turmeric, Fennel, Coriander, Cumin and mint should be used
To improve elimination:
Aloe, Cascara, Sargada, Rhubarb root, Senna, Milk, Ghee, Rose and Husk powder are recommended.
To improve energy:
Bala, Amalaki, Saffron, Aloe gel, Liquorice, Guduchi, Comfrey root, Solomon’s seal, Marshmallow, Dandelion root, Burdock root, Rehmannia.
To cool the Pitta mind:
Gotu Kola, Bhringaraj, Sandalwood, Rose, Lotus seeds, Skullcap, Passion flower, Betony, Chrysanthemum, and Hibiscus are recommended.
Pitta Decreasing foods:
- Apples, Blueberry, Cranberry, Dates, Figs, Grapes, Limes, Mango, Melons, Oranges, Pears, Persimmon, Pineapple, Plums, Pomegranate, Prunes, Raspberries
- Alfalfa Sprouts, Artichokes, Asparagus, Bell Peppers, Bitter Melon, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Celery, Cilantro, Fresh Corn, Cucumber, Eggplant, Green beans, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Okra, Parsley, Peas, Potatoes, Squash, Sunflower sprouts.
- Barley, Basmati Rice, Blue Corn, Brown Rice, Cous Cous, Millet, Granola, Oats, Quinoa, Wheat.
- Aduki, Chickpeas, Kidneys, Lima, Mung, Soy, Split Peas, Tofu.
Nuts and seeds:
- Coconut, Sunflower.
- Butter, Coconut, Ghee, Sunflower, Soy
- Unsalted Butter, Cottage Cheese, Cream, Paneer, Milk, Rice milk, Soy milk.
- Fruit Sugar, Honey, Jaggery, Maple Syrup Raw sugar
- Cardamom, Cilantro, Cloves, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Mint, Rosemary, Saffron, Turmeric.
- Pitta people need sufficient fluid intake. Cool spring water is recommended. Black or Green tea can be taken but certainly no coffee. Other astringent teas such as Alfalfa, Raspberry, Hibiscus and Dandelion are advisable. Mint tea is also good for the Pitta digestion. Milk is also advisable along with fruit juices, Pomegranate, Pineapple or Cranberry in particular. Alcohol should be avoided at all times.
Vitamins and minerals:
- Pitta people are recommended to take all the B vitamins along with Vitamin K if bleeding disorders are present. As they can suffer from sensitive eyes especially to light so Vitamin A is recommended. Minerals such as Calcium and Iron are also very important to Pitta people.
Non recommended Pitta foods:
- Apricots, Bananas, Cherries, Grapefruit, Lemons, Papaya, Peaches, Strawberries.
- Avocados, Beets, Carrots, Chard, Chillies, Raw Onions, Over cooked Onions.
- Brown rice, Buckwheat, Corn, Rye
- Lentils and Peanuts.
Nuts and seeds:
- Almonds, Brazil nuts, Cashews, Filbert, Pecans, Pine nuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Walnuts.
- Corn, Flaxseed, Olive, Margarine, Mustard, Peanut, Safflower, Sesame.
- Butter milk, salted cheese, Ice Cream, Kefir, Sour Cream, Yogurt.
- Old Honey, Molasses, White Sugar.
- Asafoetida, Basil, Bay Leaves, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Fenugreek, Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Oregano, Mustard, Nutmeg, Paprika, Rock Salt, Sage, Sea Salt, Soy sauce, Tamarind.
Cooling colours of White, Blue, and Green should be present in the Pitta person’s environment. Red should be avoided at all times as should deep Blacks. Cool environments are best for the Pita person and cold winter holidays are suitable. They should be very wary of the sun and cover up when exposed to it.
Usage of Gem Stones:
The cooling properties of Moonstone, Clear quartz crystal, Emerald, Jade, Peridot, Blue sapphire and amethyst are appropriate for the Pitta person.
Pitta people should be in bed asleep by 10pm before the Pitta rises. If awoken in the peak time of Pitta (10-2am) they may be tempted to overeat as they have a strong hunger and thirst at these times. Staying up late aggravates the Pitta within and you may have trouble sleeping
Pitta people should arise early between 4-6am and expel their waste. Bathing before meditation and yoga should be completed and then breakfast should be consumed.
Meditation and Yoga:
Vedanta, Zen and Vipassana yoga is suitable for the Pitta person which has cooling and postures (sitting, lying and shoulder stand postures are appropriate. The cooling properties of the Shitali and Lunar Pranayamas along with cooling mantras should be carried out. When meditating eradicating anger, hostility, and over criticalness should be concentrated on.
Oils & Self Abhyanga:
Cooling oils such as Coconut, Sunflower or Ghee is best used for massage. The medicated oils of Brahmi and Bhringaraj should be massaged into the head, forehead and heart to cool and soothe. Sandalwood, Vetivert, Henna, Rose, Lotus, Jasmine, Gardenia and Honeysuckle can be used in the form of incense.
Vigorous exercise is recommended as it feeds their aggression along with team sports. Winter sports are also very good as it lets them exercise without getting too hot. Swimming is also very good to help keep them cool. To soothe and cool their hot minds Tai Chi and yoga is recommended.
Age of Pitta:
- Middle aged.
Colours to aggravate Pitta:
Colours to pacify Pitta: